Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why do you go to conferences?

My wife is currently attending the Shift Conference at Willow Creek Church in Chicago. I got to thinking. Why do you attend conferences? Do you go to copy a system or what they are doing? Do you go for the breakouts? Do you go for spiritual renewal? Why do you go to conferences? Or are you one of those people who does not attend conferences because you don't need to learn or you like what you are doing and don't want to change anything? I actually had a boss tell me once that they don't go to conferences, they just do their thing. If that is your philosophy, then great. But I hope you are someone who wants to learn and especially learn from others. When I was at Saddleback, it was ground into me by Rick Warren that "Leaders are Learners." I love seeing what other churches are doing. It is great to get a fresh perspective on things. I love to learn and to read about ministry and everything that goes into ministry. I want to continue learning no matter what my role is.

SNYDER

2 comments:

Mariah Snyder said...

I love you babe! Wish you were here so badly!

Anonymous said...

Hey Snyder! thanks for the encouragement! I am back in the saddle and blogging again. I actually just took my students to a conference called Plantet Wisdom led by Mark Matlock. Great conference and great experience.

http://20somethingpastor.com/2008/04/15/planet-wisdom/

I personally took our students to this one because I knew that there was some great spiritual teaching. It wasn't about big name bands, five different speakers or some pro skateboarding coming to talk. Those aren't bad things, but I think getting away for a weekend is a great opportunity for spiritual renewal and this conference was setup for that.

Thanks Again!!