Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Going to church on the internet

We just had this discussion in our office this morning. I say you have to meet people where they are at. The internet is the place to be. With Facebook, Myspace and other places like it you have to find a way to reach people over these mediums. A new one is Second Life. I do not know much about it, but I do know that Lifechurch.tv has started a campus in Second Life. I love the idea. People who do not go to church can go now in their home while on the internet. Now I know a lot of people will say, well this isn't church. I kind of agree. I believe church is what happens outside of Sunday morning. Sunday service is an event where, yes, you will get fed. you will get to worship, but it is an event with teaching the Word and worship through music. What you do the rest of the week with your small group, out in the community and with other believers is church. Now, my hope is that these people who are going to church on Second Life will take it further and start doing things outside of second life in their community with other believers. I love the idea and can't wait to see what is next. I believe, as a youth pastor, I have to find ways to meet students where they are at. and the students I know spend a lot of time on the internet. The question now is how do we tap in to this medium and reach students who may or may not come to your weekly experience. How do we get them involved? If you know of a church who is using the internet in a mighty way to reach youth please let me know. I really hope this made sense.

SNYDER

No comments: