Thursday, November 8, 2007

Hershey's and Church

So when I woke up this morning the very first thought that hit me was wow church should be a lot like the Hershey's Bar, simple. Now I really have no idea why I thought that or if it even makes sense. The way I see it. You don't see much marketing for Hershey's Bars. Should there be marketing for churches? Or, the Hershey's Bar is simple. There is not a lot to it. It's just chocolate. Do we as youth ministries rely on to many programs or events just to keep students busy? why do we do all these events and rely so much on programming? I have heard a couple of churches say we need to get a way from programming and be way more relational. They say this, but don't do it. Do we not do it because we are afraid of losing students. Maybe you need to lose students to make your ministry more healthy. Is the risk worth the reward?
So, instead of being a chocolate bar filled with all kinds of other candy that actually in some cases make chocolate bars worse, we need to be like the original Hershey's bar. Plain and simple. Like I said, who knows what my thought meant, but I am going to think about this some more. Let me know what you think. Am I crazy or does it make a little sense.

SNYDER

No comments: