Monday, February 4, 2008

Congratulations Eddie Sutton

I went to Oklahoma State University. I managed to cram 4 years in to 5 and a half. My parents were so proud, but at least I received my degree. While I was there I attended every single home basketball game except for maybe 5. During my time there I witnessed Eddie win 149 games and lose 50. It was so great to be able to see one of college basketball's great as our coach. Eddie had to retire after amassing 798 wins. 2 shy of the elusive 800 wins. Only 4 other coaches in college basketball have won more than 800. This year Eddie took over at the University of San Francisco to get his 800 wins. And he will tell you it was a selfish decision. He wanted 800. Well this past weekend I was lucky enough to see Eddie coach the Dons at Pepperdine. Before the game Eddie was at 799, after the game he reached the mark of 800. I have seen Eddie coach a lot of games, but this was one of the best. They were down 19 early in the second half, and they managed to fight their way back to pull it out in the end. Here is a pic I took with my phone. I wish he was still at OSU, but it is what it is. Congrats Coach.

SNYDER

4 comments:

Robert E. Morgan, Jr. said...

He was given a raw deal. He made a mistake, fessed up to it and that still was not enough. Good for him on his 800 and I hope many more to come

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that it was cool to see, I like Eddie. Unfortunately, I don't think Sean Sutton is going to make it another year.

John Snyder said...

I'm ok with Sean not making it if Bill Self returns. But who knows.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I took the Edmond/OSU path also. . . actually found your blog while searching for info on the fire that burned part of the New Covenant United Methodist, formerly Henderson Hills Baptist back in Edmond.

While at OSU I was lucky enough to work for Eddie, and remorji is right, it was a raw deal. I don't know that the university had any other choice. I'm afraid for Sean, he was a great "good cop" to Eddie's bad cop, but nobody believes Sean as the bad cop.